8.28.2010

The Races

An excuse to wear a dress and a big hat? YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!

A couple of weekends ago, my buddy Rachel and I (and a few other superstars) went to the racetracks at Del Mar. It's been there since the early 1900s, and funny-enough, I had never gone after all these years of living in San Diego.


Rachel's boyfriend Zach and me hattin' it up.


Sad Story: The first race I watched (thus, my first race experience), one of the horses tumbled on the track in the final 15-feet to the end. As the crowd was scouring the scene for the jockey, who popped up with a bit of a limp, we all then noticed the poor horse, who lay lifeless on the track. Not a good way to start out!!!

But...the rest of the races went smoothly (no more dying horses) and I even gambled a little. Spending $10, then winning all your money back is not too bad. ha.

Dresses + hats + a bit of beer + good friends = a good day :)

Everyone should go to the races for a bit of nostalgia and a small sense of history (as much history as California can provide!).

10 comments:

  1. i am so jealous!!! i've always wanted to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a fun day! And the hats just seem to make it even more fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, brilliant - I love it. You'll have to come back to London and I can take you to Ascot! Summer only, mind you ;)

    Jax x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun! We have racecourses in Vancouver but I think they're supposed to be pretty scungy... that's terrible about the horse though.. Sheeesh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went to the racetrack for the first time a couple of weeks ago, too!

    I recently found out they've had racing right here in Sacramento for years (at the same place they hold the State Fair).

    The night I went they had "harness racing". http://www.sacharness.com/doc.asp?id=898

    The coolest part is that they let my brother and I ride in the car that drives the alongside the horses on the track. We had a blast. :-)

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. seems you had fun! :)
    I love big hats..are so feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. POOR HORSE!! :( That's so sad...

    Great excuse to dress up though, love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man, yeah, i bet that was a lot of fun (minus the dead horse thing...). i don't think that there are any race tracks around here... though i can go to rodeos to my heart's content!

    i think i'll stick with my own 5k. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. No more betting on the ponies for you. Save your money for the high stakes poker tables.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how old school!!! the dress and the hat look fantastic on you :D

    ReplyDelete