7.06.2005

Headlines? Me?

Today, just as class was letting out, my journalism teacher, Mr. G, said, "Ash, can I talk to you for a minute?"

Thoughts in my head: Hmmm, this could be good. Maybe he wants to tell me I did good on an article. Uh, wait...this could also be really really bad. Am I in trouble?

Then Mr. G said, "You really have a knack for writing heds and deks (journalism jargon for headlines and those mini-headlines that go under them). I was wondering if you would like me to call my colleague up at the Union Tribune to see if you could shadow him for a day. You know, see the day in the life of a copy editor. You'd be good at that."

Thoughts in my head: WHOA! Are you serious?! This is really cool! WOOHOO!!

I said, "Uh yeah, that would be really nice Mr. G."

I am dumbfounded that he did this...I am dumbfounded that he likes my headlines that much. I don't even try to make good headlines for this blog, so don't go checking, but I definitely am flattered by this.

And ANY connection in the world of journalism is soooooooo wonderful.

Ever have those days when you are just excited? I'm having that day right now. Pure excitement is a wonderful feeling.

3 comments:

  1. I read your blog too.
    copy editing is mmm-mmm good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay ashley thats so great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you all...

    and Matt, that's really cool that you read my blog...I have loved reading yours FOREVER, but I already told you that, huh?

    Again thanks, guys, I'm excited...

    ReplyDelete