7.22.2005

If I were ice cream, I'd be all liquidy right now...

haha, well duh. But that's the only way I can describe this CRAZY heat wave. It's insane, I say! Now I know San Diego isn't as bad as the rest of the country (it's like 95 degrees here), but you have to look at it in proportions, people. It's usually 75 degrees in San Diego (just about), so this is a significant change for us. Translation: San Diegans have been really grouchy this week cause of the heat wave. I think we will all internally combust.

Plus, it just doesn't help that I don't have air conditioning. Now, I normally love my 84 BMW. But this week, it is not my friend. Damn leather interior! You know when your skin just sticks to the seat and you kind of have to pry it out of the car? Yeah, that's my skin this week. Not to mentioned the fact that I get burnt everytime I sit down.

So, of course, I didn't do much driving today. Instead, before going to work, I watched Mona Lisa Smile with my dad. Have you seen it? We definitely had a conversation about women in the 50's and what was expected of them.

I sometimes wonder to myself, why was I born in 1985? Why not 1885? Or 1785? As time goes by and I learn more about the past, I start to realize why. Who would want to deal with all the crap women dealt with in those times? I sure as hell wouldn't want to be considered merely property.

And it was crazy (but I guess normal) for girls in the 50's to go to college and then simply become a housewife. I just couldn't imagine that.

And I still have friends today who say such things as "Well, maybe I just want to marry rich and become a housewife. That would be the life." These are girls in college, dammit!!!

I'm not putting down women who are housewifes. It's noble, my mother was one for the longest time. But why are you in college if you're not gonna put that degree to use at all? What a waste.

To wrap this up, I'm glad I was born after the women's liberation movement. But there's still a HUGE battle women are still packing their guns for--self image and beauty. When we will learn to truly love ourselves? Well, OBVIOUSLY this rise of plastic surgery and edited magazine pictures don't help.

Oh well, one step at a time. Right now I'll just focus on trying to keep cool.

3 comments:

  1. no I don't think liquidy is a word, but it's fun to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be a stay-at-home-dad without any kids. Sadly, I think I'm a long way from realizing this dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, yeah hal...that would be the life.

    ReplyDelete