8.29.2005

What I Consider the Black Death

It's times like this I'm glad I don't live in the South. Hurricane Katrina is seriously showing no mercy.

You guys say that we have nasty earthquakes. This is true. But I think I'd take an earthquake over a hurricane anyday.

When I was 13, my dad decided to take me on a cross-country road trip. For one part of the trip, we drove from Colorado to Minnesota. Yeah...my dad was crazy, I'm realizing, now that I can drive.

When we reached Minnesota, the sky was turning black and tornado warnings came onto the radio for the town we were in. That was some scary shit, let me tell you. We got the heck out of that town as quickly as possible. Picture this: a thirteen-year-old-crying, a father doing 95 mph on the freeway (that part was cool) and cops (yeah, the Po-lice) whizzing by us (probably doing 100 to 105. All of this happening whilst the sky turned into one gigantic black hole. That was the freakiest part. The sky looked like some version of hell, and I closed my eyes to keep from looking at it.

So you tell me earthquakes are scary? I'm sticking with California, thank you. No tornadoes, and certainly no hurricanes for me.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, being from Florida, I will say these past few years have been really bad hurricane wise. However, at least with a hurricane you have warning! There's time to prepare! Earthquakes scare me because there's no warning, no matter what people say about "earthquake weather". A very wham, bam, thank you ma'am sort of disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, but all our buildings are earthquake proof now. I don't believe you can really make buildings hurricane proof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO they don't! Exactly! It makes me not want to buy the item. Very good point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once, during a tornado warning, my dad was standing on our porch and saw a tornado coming right for us. We had to run out and lay in a ditch...I had always heard that it sounded like a locomotive was coming and it was true, it sounded like a freight train was coming right at us. The tornado crossed the road about a mile away from our house. Crazy stuff.

    ReplyDelete