9.21.2005

Silence: The Loss of Liberty

It makes me sad that over 50% of Americans feel the press has too much freedom.

It makes me sad to know that after 9/11, many journalists were afraid to criticize the government for fear of being labeled as unpatriotic.

Don't people realize?

If we didn't have free press, we wouldn't have democracy. Information provided through newspapers gives the public a forum of sorts--to discuss the government, to share information, and to simply be informed.

Without press, without information--dictatorships form. How can people even think that the press has "too much power and freedom?" It makes me mad.

This is why I could NEVER be conservative. A friend once told me "Don't worry Ashley, you'll grow out of your liberalism." What?! There's no way! I have too much personal invested energy in the fight for your right to SAY WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT TO. Whether I disagree with it or not. You could write an article on your mission to become a Satanic Leader and take over Iowa. I would think you were crazy, and I probably wouldn't be your friend. But, dammit!!!! You have freakin' right in this country to say it!!!!

And people want to take that freedom away?

If you start taking away the freedom to call George W. a dumbass, then democracy and all it emcompasses will fade.

My pet peeve is when conservatives complain about the "liberal press" bashing the government. We have every right to express our opinion on the president and his cabinent! A journalist's duty is to be a watchdog of the government and act as a fourth branch to level out the 3 branches. Journalists are there for the people. And some people think we have too much freedom?

Well, those people are the biggest cry babies I've ever met. If you're gonna have a person in a place of power--conservative OR liberal--they better be fucking ready for criticism. If you're gonna cry about that criticism, GET the fuck out of office. You're not made for a leadership role.

It just makes me mad--I'm sure you can tell. Think about places ruled by dictators, places where people were treated as slaves, places where too many were killed. Think about how those places could have been saved if there had been free speech.

If you take away a human's right to speak freely, to speak what they know inside, you take away their heart and the death of the spirit occurs.

America needs to take notice. America needs to be more informed.
*********************************************************************
It's funny cause my posts are usually light and free, but I felt like this is an important topic, one that cannot be ignored. This is the reason I've come to be interested in Journalism. I have the power to open someone's eyes through freedom of speech, through the sharing of information. Without information, the public will remain in silence.

So please people--be GRATEFUL for the 1st Amendment. Be damn grateful that it was put into the Bill of Rights--and know that it was put there for a reason.

5 comments:

  1. 50 percent of the public thinks the press has too much freedom?

    yeah, that'll change when the press can't report the numbers anymore without permission from a government agency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go kick some ass...you edgy sorority kitten...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Des Moines, your going down...WHOSE WITH ME?? The Dark Lord instructed me to delete my last comment, I'm sure you all understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahaha, gangster, that made me laugh, Thanks. Man, I was having a rouhg night, too. That totally helped.

    ReplyDelete