11.07.2009

Finding True Treasure

"Most of us, even if only for two minutes in our lives, have experienced at some time or another an inexplicable and random sense of complete bliss, unrelated to anything that was happening in the outside world...

Over the centuries, people have tried to hold on to that state of blissful perfection through all sorts of external means--through drugs and sex and power and adrenaline and the accumulation of pretty things--but it doesn't keep...

Your treasure--your perfection--is within you already. But to claim it, you must leave the busy commotion of the mind and abandon the desires of the ego and enter into the silence of the heart."

--Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat Pray Love

Oh yes. Ohhhhhhh yes, indeed. This passage helps to explain my search for the divine. That "bliss" that Liz is explaining here, is God. A happiness that goes beyond this world. Because simply, happiness cannot be found in sex, drugs and rock n' roll. (No comment from you, Frank).

More on this book later.

In regards to Turkey, I have decided to stay on the course to go there. After advice from some wise friends (including you's wise guys!!), there is so much potential and learning and life to be gained from going on such an adventure. The one and only drawback is leaving everything familiar. But God is telling me to get a bit uncomfortable...staying in comfort never forces us to grow.

This girl does not want to stay in an awkward, 20-something, transitional phase, forever. It's time to sail the seven seas, explore what is ahead of me. Even if I don't like the experience, that will not diminish the amount of growth I will be able to do.

So, unless there is a clear reason not to go, I'm on my way. Looking to train in January (for about six weeks) and then apply to jobs for the fall.

Here's to living :)

9 comments:

  1. Oho! Good for you! I am proud. Not that you decided to leave, but that you are doing so with the realization that you are not doing this because you are unhappy with where you are, but more that you will be happy wherever you will be. Because there you are.

    Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminded me of the song "God-Shape Hole" . It talks about how there is a place in all of us that only God can fill. Have fun in Turkey and send us a postcard while your living your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree with that quote, Ashley. If perfection were within us already, then Jesus died for nothing. The whole point of following Jesus is to die to ourselves completely and become a new creation in Him. Perfection IS the goal: God is continually moving us in that direction and it will become complete in the next age.

    "The ordinary idea which we all have before we become Christians is this. We take as a starting point our ordinary self with its various desires and interests..."

    "The Christian way is different: harder, and easier. Christ says, 'Give me All... I have not come to torment your natural self, but to kill it. No half-measures are any good. I don't want to cut off a branch here and a branch there, I want to have the whole tree down... I will give you a new self instead'". -C.S. Lewis

    I want to recommend a different book to you. I just finished reading it. It's called Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis. If you are a Christian, you will be astounded and amazed from moment you begin to read it until the finish. Even though I have been a Christian for years, it really defined and helped clarify what being a Christian truly is - what a wonderful thing! I can't tell you how many things I never understood were resolved after I read this book. I pray this book will bless you and revive your walk with the Lord, like it did mine!

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry D, I have read that book. It's one of my favorite books of all time.

    I still like reading books about spirituality from different stand points and different views. That's just the way I am.

    It's hard when you hear just one quote from this book, but Liz Gilbert actually does talk about struggling with the self and spirit within, and how the spirit is perfecting her. It is not herself that making her more perfect or spiritual, but the Holy Spirit within her. And yes, she uses that term in the book.

    Although her view is that all religions bring you to God, and that might clash with my views a bit, I still love to read about how God is moving in her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Massively proud of you, girl. Bring on living.

    Jax x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just don't forget that pain makes pleasure all the sweeter. And sometimes they're one in the same, especially if you've got a few hundred bucks to burn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, how jealous i am of such freedom. one day, perhaps. but good for you! i hope its a great ride and the perfect path. although, i must take exception that there is no bliss in rock n roll. have i taught you nothing? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you have read it, huh?? I am glad!

    I was a little concerned... but now that you explain it further, I understand where you are coming from.

    Read any other good C.S. Lewis books? I recently discovered Chuck Swindoll. His website is www.insight.org. You can listen to his sermons there. He is old & very wise!

    Shoot me an email sometime, if you'd like. I would like to share more stuff with you. My hotmail username is "mzdianna".

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No comment from me?? What's what supposed to mean? Just because I'm not religious doesn't mean I'm into drugs and sleeping around!


    *hmph* :-/

    ReplyDelete