3.22.2011

Home is Where the Heart is...

Which is in SD.

I'll always adore Turkey. Always. But when I was weighing my options on where I should be, my choice was clear. I wanted to be in Turkey because it's different. Because I wanted to explore. Because I wanted a change. But at the end of the day I realized that it wasn't making me happy. I was missing family and friends that I would literally die for. I was missing the people that were the most important to me.

And I realized, I can still explore and travel, like I've always loved--but do I have to live here? Do I want to live here? NO was the resounding, unmistakable answer.

Yeah, so I flew halfway around the world to figure out something the hard way. But I learned an immense amount about myself on this trip. So it was still in the cards, I believe.

Sorry, I haven't gotten to post pictures because the internet just doesn't like to work well in Turkey. ha.

Thanks for listening to my nonsensical ramblings these past few months. I know where I need to be...I know where my heart belongs. Biggie Smalls and I have the same idea: I'm going going back back to Cali Cali.

11 comments:

  1. i'm glad that you were able to make a decision. and no, this was not a mistake - this was probably exactly what you needed at this time. to KNOW. looking back on this in a few years, i have a feeling that you're going to see just how this little trip was actually the catalyst for something else AMAZING that happened in your life.

    besides, it's WAY more feasible that we'll actually get to meet IRL if you're in cali. turkey is LONG way to fly from nd. haha.

    also, i don't think the husband would approve THAT particular trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's not the right place, or the timing is wrong. I had to bail out of Scotland one time because it was making me miserable. You never know, you may find yourself looking abroad again. But in the meantime, enjoy your home.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, what an incredible turn of events. And what a life experience! I think I'm still in the process of figuring out that my heart lies in England... eleven years later. High five to you for having the balls to take a leap to really know where you belong <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jehlik501...this trip helped you to figure out important things of your life, and this is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only one word for you...

    YYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    *jumps up and down*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's amazing that you did it! And now you'll be so refreshed to go back and will be able to live without the heavy regret of not trying! When do you go back?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so super amazing that you went to Turkey though! I totally understand the difference between loving to travel and wanting to live there. Cali is welcoming you with lots of sunshine! :)

    http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Give it time. Give it a chance. Dig deeply into your new locale. Maybe it will grow on you. Maybe you just haven't found your niche there yet. I had the same experience living in New Orleans when I was around your age. I didn't give it a chance, and missed out potentially on some great experiences longing for home. I hear it takes a year to adjust to living in a new town, so think how long it would take for a new country. Go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, that "around your age" crack sounded pompous and imperial. Don't mean it that way. Turkey must be a much tougher nut to crack than New Orleans. Then again, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no idea what you're going through. I've moved only to other parts of the United States, not to another country. Much love, dear, whatever you choose. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's great that you were able to go on this adventure, and also have the foresight to realize when it's not working for you.

    I can't even imagine how hard it would be to adjust to a whole different country. It was hard for me to adjust to a different city that was only 30 minutes away! ;)

    ReplyDelete