3.18.2011

Following Fate

Hello again bloggers!

So, this is my state of mind right now: Izmir most definitely is not the place for me. It's a *little* too crowded. And when I say little, I mean 4 million people little. haha.

BUT, I've been told by my friend Fatih that there is a smaller city on the outskirts of Izmir that is more low-key and maybe more my style? I'm interested...you hear that Fatih? I'll check it out and see what I think :)

There is something I've realized about myself through this whole process that I didn't know before: I am a BIG nature person. More than I realized. There is only so much city walls can do to ease my soul. I need water, trees, mountains, SOMETHING around me to put me at ease. And if there are too many buildings blocking my view and surrounding me, I feel smothered. I knew right when I got here that it just wasn't for me...it disappointed me to know that truth, especially because I've been talking about moving for SO LONG on this blog, and to my friends and family.

But sometimes you just know when you know.

That being said, Turkish people are fabulous. And I always knew that. They are welcoming; but it's more than that, they are interested in getting to know other people. They look you straight in the eye, almost like they're trying to find your heart in the pupil. They enjoy company like it's oxygen. They are open-minded and open-hearted. I adore Turkey for this reason.

Whatever the outcome of my adventures here, I am so happy that I tried and went for it. The rest is in God's hands. It's when I'm in a situation like this that I realize how little I control in this life. I can only go along for the ride and make pit stops in the places I believe fit Ashley the best.

P.S. My friend Fatih showed me this little nifty website called vtunnel.com that allows me to get past the government block on blogger. So I can read your blogs!! But it still won't let me comment! You can always leave me your e-mail so I can comment that way...because I still love my little blog community :)

8 comments:

  1. It's wonderful to hear about your travel, even when every part isn't exactly as you imagined it. Hopefully the little town outside of Izmir will be more your speed.

    But even if it isn't, like you said it's in God's hands. It's weird when he answers our prayers totally differently than how we prayed them... (does that make sense?) But, it's definitely encouraging to know he's answering.

    Alright, this comment is just getting long winded. Hope your next pit stop fits Ashley the best!!!


    A Foreign Land

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing how we get to know ourselves just a little bit better when we go leaps and bounds out of our comfort zones.

    good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love reading the updates, don't stop:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're well. Keep up from vtunnel as much as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you've had a safe journey out there! And however the rest of the journey goes, you get major props from me for being brave/daring, following your dream and making it happen - and for inspiring me to do the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're safe and experiencing such a wonderful time so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy to read your updates. I hope you find a city more suited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving this travel blog you've got going on. It's wonderful to see how the adventure is playing out. Not everything you expected, if you expected anything at all, but an adventure that you'll never lose nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete