6.16.2011

Favorite Thing Thursday: Why My Curls are a Reflection of My Soul

Last week, a good guy friend of mine insinuated that he preferred my hair straight, rather than curly. He further added that overall, guys respond better to me when I straighten my hair.

Although he meant well, this got my blood boiling a little.

Firstly, why should I straighten my hair simply based on someone else's perception of me? Furthermore, did he really use 'impressing guys' as a foundation for his argument? Really?

Adding onto those two points, my anger stemmed from somewhere even deeper than that. In high school, I used to straighten my hair everyday. It became a ritual out of obedience to a society that told me straight hair was in. My Seventeen Magazine would come in the mail, and religiously, I would read it front to back, soaking in all the make-up, hair and exercise tips.

Somewhere along the line (probably in college), I realized that trying to obtain perfection was not only exhausting, but insatiable. Reaching that epiphany allowed my personality to bloom in a way it never could before. It also got me thinking, "What if I air-dryed my hair?" It's funny, I had never thought to do so before.

The first day I wore my hair curly, I felt free. My curly hair is one of my favorite features. Despite it's unruliness, it's a reflection of me, a unique identifier of Ashley.

I don't mean for this to sound like a complete feminist manifesto; however, there is something so very satisfying about accepting a part of yourself in its natural state. This rings even truer if you're a woman, because we're always being told that we have to change ourselves. Whether it's to impress or to compete, there are a plethora of reasons why women are convinced to strive for "more."

Of course, I still like make-up and fashion. And occasionally, yes, I do straighten my hair. To say that I don't care at all about what others think would be a lie. However, the trick is learning that it's all in my hands, and no one else's. If I feel like wearing a cute dress one day, I will. Adversely, if I feel like venturing out in sweatpants and without an ounce of make-up on, I will. It's my choice.

I choose my hairstyle, I choose my life, I choose my destiny.

9 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Perfectly stated. I think all women, no matter their race, socioeconomic status, etc..., can relate to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that guy is an idiot. curly hair > straight hair.


    go natural! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your curly hair is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear, hear. Also, curly hair is obviously way nicer than straight. Aaaand, think of how many more hours you've had in your life as a result of not straightening it all the time. On the rare occasions when I straighten mine, I'm infuriated by how long it takes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your hair - it looks great any way you style it.

    Confession: I spend a lot of time straightening out my frizzy, curly-wavy hair until every strand is slick and straight (I have a lot of hair and it gets "big" otherwise).

    Like you said, it's a personal choice. I don't do it for anyone but me - I just feel more like myself when my hair is "under control".

    I feel funny admitting that and then totally agreeing with you about accepting yourself... What a little hypocrite I am!

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny you posted about this. I have straight as a board hair. Curling it is quite the task and having it stay curly for more than 10 minutes takes a good amount of hair spray. I like my hair curled, and I think that in dating many of my dates have liked it. However the guy I'm currently dating actually made comment that he liked my hair straight when I curled it last week. It sort of put me off because Is pent SOOO much time in curling it to impress him and he didn't like it? I guess that was my mistake... trying to impress him wit something not me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. bravo! i agree with you as well. being in one's natural state or what you're most comfortable with is always the best. i cant't BELIEVE that guy said that to you! i've always felt like curly hair is better. i've been envious of naturally curly hair for as long as i can remember. but you're right. it's all about knowing who you are and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i so think this is awesome! and i agree...trying to be perfect is EXHAUSTING because I can't achieve it yo...you're on to something here i think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have also rather recently FINALLY accepted my hair for what it is. I've also discovered this stuff called 'hair product'. It makes my hair less crazy and actually look really good. I NEVER blow dry my hair because otherwise it looks like a frizzball. Even when I get it cut and they dry it, they have to put MORE stuff in and straighten it just to make it look decent.

    I'm getting a crazy haircut the next time I go and I'm REALLY excited. I was growing my hair out, but I'm bored with it now and want something new. Maybe I'll even be REALLY cool and post some before and after pics. If I remember...

    ReplyDelete