9.02.2011

Shut up, Ashley.

I was about to write a post about how this computer is sucking out my soul, how I hate technology and how I want to just run outside and roll around in the grass. You know, the typical "I'm feeling trapped...wahhhh!" post.

Then I stopped myself--THANK GOD--of sparing you all the complaints that have been piling up in my mind. Since when have I complained so much? We've heard it a million times before, but it's so true: focusing too much on the negative makes your world negative (I'm saying this through gritted teeth as I roll my eyes, of course).

But OH GODDDDDD...if I don't start realizing how unbelievably lucky/privileged/spoiled I am soon, I'm shipping my ass on the next plane to Thailand so I can see what it's like to be a young girl sold as a sex-slave, which will REALLY give me something to complain about.

All of this to simply tell myself to SHUT UP. You're being a brat, Ashley, and you best start appreciating all the riches you have before you. You pain in the ass.

9 comments:

  1. LOL way to snap yourself back into reality! There's a song I'm loving lately which has a good message for times like these:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVx2RuANAyk

    The words are perfect for when you get "bratty" and need a snap back to how lucky we really are. Aaaand I get to see him next month :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. UMMMMM, I officially love that song. hahahaha! Dowloading NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shipping yourself into Thai sex slavery seems just a BIT over the top. You could always give to the MDA telethon, or serve soup at a shelter. Or become a Big Sister volunteer.

    Eh, on second thought, sex slavery in Thailand is probably the most rational way to overcome your blues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHA. I felt like being as dramatic as paul simon. Leave me alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, here's what I meant to say. Just because other people have bigger problems doesn't mean yours aren't valid. Someone's always worse off. Imagine being the guy who comes back from Iraq missing an arm and a leg, catching grief from the guy who lost an arm and TWO legs. Short of suffering a fiery, horrible painful death, you can never win that game. But not every valid problem is fiery, horrible, painful death, so....

    I'm sorry I lost my train of thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I get what you're saying. But I still like to put things in perspective. And try to be more positive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eh... I definitely think there is virtue in getting yourself to "shut up" about the trivial things that we suffer for.... but I think there's something in them that, if we face rather than shun, we can learn a lot from. I think there is wisdom to be found from suffering, we just have to face it. I think it ultimately teaches us to open up to a more beautiful life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I agree with you. But when I catch myself complaining a little too much, I kinda have to tell myself I'm being a big brat :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've DEFINITELY had to tell myself that once or twice before. It's good to vent sometimes, but it can DEFINITELY go too far. We rich people tend to forget how truly rich we are (Husband and I are in the top 1% wealthiest people IN THE WORLD!) and to start comparing ourselves to those who we perceive to be rich in comparison to us. Or to focus on how unfair we think the world is being to us or a million different things.

    I'm not judging, believe me. I definitely hear you and understand the accompanying frustration when we realize we're being brats. Things will come around soon and you'll probably be back to normal, non-bratty Ashely. :)

    ReplyDelete