10.19.2011

Find Your Tribe

"What would you do if I sang out of tune? Would you stand up and walk out on me?"

Suddenly, the above lyrics have become my life. Besides the fact that I do actually sing out of tune (yet still opt to partake in karaoke), I've been a little "out of tune" in, well...life.

I just haven't been myself: not as smiley, friendly and awkwardly charming as normal. (I might be more awkward than charming, but please let me embellish to make myself feel a tad better).

Despite this, I'm pretty sure I have the best friends surrounding me. I realize, in times of distress and depression, this makes all the difference.

There are times when I come home from work, not in the best of moods, feeling somehow forlorn and trapped all at the same time, and yet...my roommate still greets me with a smile and a warm welcome. She doesn't have to. I could easily be dismissed as an energy-sucker and ignored. Instead, she listens to my complaints--patiently--offers advice, and even suggests that we indulge in an episode of South Park.

This turns my day around.

And she's not the only one. My close friends are all understanding, selfless supporters. To put it in the best terms, I've found my tribe. These are the people that you just connect with. You get each other in all of your weirdness and uniqueness. You are there for each other even when one of the members of the tribe has become weak.

I won't be in a sad, trapped place forever. But thank God I have this kind of support. This keeps the fire going in my soul, even when my light has dimmed a bit.

Oh, and even Churro (pictured above) is a member of my inner-circle. Despite the fact that he steals my underwear, he still cuddles with me, with provides lots of solace during these dog days.

P.S. While I love the Beatles, the Joe Cocker version is where it's at:


6 comments:

  1. So, what's your secret? May I borrow one of your friends? :-)

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha, sure!! :)

    My secret: to only put energy in for friends that are truly genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you said "tribe" I thought of the "wolf pack" speech in The Hangover. "Four of us wolves, running around the desert together, in Las Vegas..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so important to have a close support group. It took me a long time to realise that, and to make lots of time for those closest to me, rather than trying to make as many friends as possible (but who did not care nearly as much). Hope you feel better soon :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally feel ya! Sometimes it's rough but comforting knowing that others can help us get through.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading this at work, can't see the videos, but I am familiar with Joe Cocker singing this song (from Woodstock, I think, and the theme song from The Wonder Years, one of my favorite TV shows of all time). Miss reading your weblog.

    I need more friends like you got. Not lucky, but blessed.

    ReplyDelete