10.17.2011

Is This How Office Jobs Are?

The above title is a question my coworker asked the other day, as niether she nor I have ever had an office job before this one.

I will say, there are some good parts to the job. Ultimately, I'm helping people get to school. However, this is what I do about, oh, 10% of the time. The other 90%? Busy work, nothing work, or nothing in general as I often finish my work within the first 2 hours of the day.

Goodness gracious! Is this how office jobs are??

There's a reason, I'm realizing, why so many people love The Office and Office Space, as they SO ACURATELY portray the mundane trappings a desk and florescent lighting can box you into.

When it comes to a job that is boring and less-than-desirable, I think there are two types of people:

  1. The kind that are able to separate work life from home life. One does not affect the other.


  2. The kind that feels bogged down in ALL areas of life when they are not doing something relevant/passionate/something they feel called to do.

I am, of course, the second kind of person. Some days are good, most days have ended up badly. It's a problem when work life starts to seep into social life, and you start feeling lackluster even in social settings. Hmmm...this isn't me. And this is a sign that some changes need to happen.

Of course, this means applying for different jobs (within the university and outside of the university). This also means keeping a better attitude about things. Also, I'm keeping my options open in general. I would be lying to you if I said I wasn't taking a glance overseas again. But nothing drastic, kids...just window shopping.

For now.

4 comments:

  1. I've been dealing with this, too, lately. The problem with me is that EVERYONE else is busy the entire day while I have to stretch the little work I do have into 7 hours. It's not my favorite. I wouldn't mind it so much if I was busy and I'm hoping it's just a matter of time (I'm only 2.5 months in...). But I also know this line of work is nothing I'm passionate about. And I need to find something I am passionate about, even if it means taking a huge leap and moving away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little bit of both, I think. Even when I'm really passionate about my work, I try to draw a firm line between work & home. That's why the past 2 months of freelancing and working from home have been tough for me, I feel like work invades my personal life and I don't enjoy that :) I always thought working from home would be great, but I've discovered that it is NOT for me, at least not for the long term. Even if I kept freelancing or "working for myself" I would need some kind of formal office space outside of my house to protect my sanity :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the 2nd type too...kinda struggling in my current office job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't say I've missed it, Bob.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...