3.30.2005

Learning How to Read Again

I haven't just sat down and read a book for the longest time. And I'm talking ages here.

Although I enjoyed some of the required readings from good ol' Poway Unified School district (Of Mice and Men, Catcher in the Rye, etc.), the last time I actually read a book by my own free will was a LONG time ago. We're talking Ronald Dahl time here. I was in 5th grade and especially delighted with the Big Friendly Giant (and you'd say the "BFG" for short, if you were cool).

So after DECADES of not reading--ok,ok, it can't be decades plural, but it sounds more dramatic than saying "after a decade"--I have finally decided to pick up a book and READ. Reading (without a deadline or without a teacher's interpretation of the theme stuffed down your throat) is in fact, quite enjoyable. And what am I reading? Pride and Prejudice. Michelle loves this book SO much that I had to give it a try. And so far, i'm happy I did.

I think that maybe we should launch a nationwide campaign to strip mind-draining video games from homes and replace them with vocabulary-adding, mind-exercising books.

Then maybe we would produce a few smart presidents.

No comments:

Post a Comment