9.14.2005

Not Your Typical...

So, I believe I have mentioned before that I'm in a sorority, correct? Well, if not, I am. It's called Sigma Kappa. Plus, that little picture in the right corner--that has my letters on it...it case you're interested.

When I first meet people, I usually don't tell them straight away that I'm in a sorority. That's because, if I do, right AWAY I get stereotyped. There's all these preconceived notions about sororities--I don't really have to list them, you probably have them in your head right now.

But one my sisters said it best when she said, "Our sorority is not typical. We don't like doing typical sorority things. We like the idea of a sorority, but not a typical sorority."

And that's true. And when I tell people that I'm in one, after they've known me a couple weeks, they looked surpirsed. That look of shock is often followed with "Wait. No. Ashley, you're in a sorority?"

I always laugh. That's why stereotypes don't work.

So, you might understand my frustration at this moment when I say that Rush is coming up. Tomorrow. Rush is a complete, stupid, horrible, typical sorority activity. And we don't like it. But we go through it, every year. It's the only plan in place that gives you members, so we're forced in a way.

My biggest stress at the moment is the amount of homework I have to finish with no time to do it...cause all my time is going to Rush. *Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

With that said, I love my girls. If you met them, you'd be surprised--we are the coolest ever. We're not shallow, we're not ditzy, we're not arrogant. We are Sigma K...an alternative choice to the intellectually void and superficial "typicial" sorority girl.

2 comments:

  1. if you're not into sororities, why did you join one in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's not that I'm not into sororities...I just don't like the ones that are full of fake people, which is not mine.

    I wouldn't give time and energy to something I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete