11.10.2005

Must you be so smug?

My humanities professor really is quite frustrating at times. While enjoy his class most of the time, I feel he is never that clear on what he wants from us, leaving me in a state of ambiguity. Besides that, he's a pretty smug, uptight elitist. And yes, there are some good qualities about him...he's funny and really cares about whether or not his students do well. But I think he definitely picks favorites....and I'm not one of them.

I guess I'm also a little bitter because he's one of the only teachers that I've had in my life that has given me a mediocre score on writing. Mostly because what I write doesn't exactly cater to the style of writing he wants...he wants you to write an essay HIS way, in HIS format, with HIS exact mindset. HELLO! We're all individuals, buddy!

So today, I went to visit him during his office hours to protest a grade...and it upset me to the point where I wanted to almost cry, but I didn't. I just get frustrated with people who are purposely intimidating, who almost don't care that they are, even though they know they are.

I have to learn to deal with people like that...I need to suck it up, and not let them affect me.

It's just...when you insult my writing capabilities, it's like a punch to the stomach, or a ripping out of the heart. But I have to learn how to take criticism and set aside my pride.

Sometimes you believe that you're good at something, but not everyone is going to think that.

whew. I feel better now that I let that out. Now I'll just hit publish and send it out into nothingness...it's never good to keep anger inside you, so I'm sending it out.

6 comments:

  1. aw ashley Im sorry. Was he that horrible when you went to talk to him? He's pretty unmovable when it comes to grades--and THAT is annoying. I'm going to give you a call later so tomorrow Mr. Darcy can take our cares away. And I feel a bit guilty because I forced you into taking this class. Im sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten decidedly mediocre scores in every writing class I've ever taken in college. and I'm prolific.
    if that means I suck, so be it. can't let it lean on you, though.

    write cause it makes you happy. fuck the grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pour sugar in his gas tank Ashley, that'll show him!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done!
    [url=http://xjddjtuw.com/ozew/gcoj.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://yvirofyg.com/qysl/oqga.html]Cool site[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice site!
    http://xjddjtuw.com/ozew/gcoj.html | http://zwplevjy.com/mxuf/gaug.html

    ReplyDelete