11.13.2005

Content, finally

ALRIGHT. So I had an eventful weekend. Let's break it down, yo.

Friday: I went to the Union Tribune (San Diego's newspaper, heck yeah!) to shadow that copy editor. It was.....hectic, fun, exciting, intimidating, crazy and wonderful. Do I want to be a journalist? Yes and no. This is why they encourage internships for my major. Simply, you gotta experience the business and then decide if you like it.

But get this, there was this one point, right, where all the pages were layed out in the publishing room. This is the part of the day where the copy editor makes sure everything looks up to par and that articles aren't too long. Of course, 4 of the articles are too long and he has to last minute cut out some lines. And I'm not talking just two lines, he had to cut out full on paragraphs, sometimes two. After I watch him edit a few pages, he hands the red pen to me and says nonchalantly, "Ok, Ashley. Make a suggestion on what we should cut out in this article."

I freak out a little (cause I'm a dork), compose myself, read the article quickly (cause the deadline is in like 20 minutes and the pressure is on) and mark what I would take out. Jerry, the copy editor, looks is over, smiles and says "Yep, that's the right part to take out."

So that was just cool. And get this, the article was on blogging. haha. It was destiny.

Friday night: Michelle and I go to see Pride & Prejudice. The 7:00 p.m. showing was sold out, so we wait for 3 hours till the next show...poor Michelle listens to me vent for 3 hours about my humanities professor (which I feel better about, thanks). After 3 hours, we go to see the movie.....and it was good and magical and beautiful. But Michelle and I both agree that the relationships weren't developed in their entirety--not like they are in the book.

And the movie really makes me long for a Mr. Darcy. But what am I looking for??? There is no Mr. Darcy in the world!!! He doesn't exist! Still, there are some really cool scenes in this movie (like a certain fog scene that really is sooooooooo cute. Man! I want to kiss someone in fog!). Oh god, now I'm being a desperate girl. So yeah...that was friday.

Saturday: Eh, nothing really. Hung out with mom and pops (always good) and then went to work (with all those highschool kiddies that tell me bout their highschool drama).

Sunday: We had Founder's Day. All the chapters of Sigma Kappa in Southern California drove to L.A. for a luncheon type deal. haha, that is, if you want to call it a lunch. Our "lunches" were salads, right, which we were skeptical of in the first place. Then, to top it off, those salads had like 3 pieces of lettuce in them. I got a sandwich later that night with my little sis and we joked about how our sandwich had more lettuce than the salad. And you think I'm exaggerating. Nope.

Anyway, the best part of Founder's Day was this little old lady that was presented an award for being a member for 75 years!! She had met one of our founders (who created the chapter in the late 1800's). That was just super cool. She needed assistance to the microphone, and the room was so thick with respect for this woman, you could feel the tingles run down every inch of your body. Then she spoke for about a minute and gave a genuine "thank you" to everyone.

I hope someday that I can be as genuine and humble as that woman. What a beautiful, astonishing thing it is nowadays to be modest and gracious. And that she was. After hearing all her cool accomplishments in her life, I thought to myself "wow, you really can live a long life and make it super cool at the same time." I hope, wish and pray....someday.



whewwwwwwwwwww. so that was a tremendously long post. I just wanted to write it all down. Life can be hectic, but just really fun at the same time. Maybe tomorrow I'll post pictures from founder's day. Now I gotta get to some homework. And sleep....that sounds wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. thomas, you're really gonna confuse me if you keep changing your name!

    ReplyDelete