11.14.2005

On Love

I was listening to Maroon 5 while driving today. Songs About Jane is still a great cd, to me at least.

And those lyrics...they are a passionate force--lovely and powerful all at once. People like to say that poetry is dead, but it lives on in songs, don't you see?

"And I cannot remember
What life was like through photographs
Trying to recreate images life gives us from our past

And sometimes it's a sad song

But I cannot forget
Refuse to regret
So glad I met you
Take my breath away
Make everyday
Worth all of the pain that I have
Gone through"

It's funny how the saddest lyrics are usually the most beautiful.

And I wonder, will I ever find a love like that? Ever? There are people, I'm sure, who never get married and never find real love. And forget about the marriage part, is there even a real love?

I'm too hopeless to believe there isn't.

I'm not worried about whether or not I'll find love, I just wonder about it. And why do we try to find it in the first place?

It would be delightful to run into it someday...unexpectedly. That would be the greatest. I suppose that love is not something that can be found, but rather is something that attacks you in the darkest of nights...something that all of a sudden turns that black night into white dawn and sends the stars off singing. Something so pure and true, it's hard to think about and look at.

Why are humans so drawn to the idea of love? Probably because it is so much greater than any other thing out there: money, power, success, respect...it seems to beat all of it.

Maybe I've been reading too many books and watching too many movies. Maybe.

5 comments:

  1. Do you like the band "Bright Eyes" Ashley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never stop reading books or movies about this subject. NEVER.

    Ever read, "Anna Karenina" or "McTeague"? Both have backgrounds with great love stories involved. Those are my favorites; not the actual plot, but the side plots are incredible unrequited love stories that become requited.

    Unexpected is the best way to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks anthony, that's great advice. You have great passion!

    Gangster, no I haven't...are you a fan?

    Matthew, haha...I suppose hope is all I have right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am and I think you would be too....check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recommend the L.P "Lifted or The Story Is In The Soil", I rarely find an album that really moves me but that one is awesome...

    ReplyDelete