1.05.2006

Finding a Habitat

After I graduate from San Diego State, I'd love to find a new place to live that isn't San Diego. San Diego is gorgeous--so don't get me wrong--but I've lived here essentially forever. But I wonder...where would I live?

Some places I've thought of before:
  1. New York City--it's simply the most alluring city. Probably because it has everything. But I'm not stupid...before I'd ever move to New York, I'd make sure to have a job lined up and a good savings. I know that place is crazy expensive. And it's gritty. But I love that sometimes. Sometimes dirty can be pretty. Odd, but true.
  2. San Francisco--when I visited it this past summer, I thought it was just lovely. I like cold weather and I like views of the bay. The people were incredibly nice, and overall, I'll always be a California girl. Some downfalls: the hills are super scary...but something to get used to, I guess. That place is a magnet for earthquakes, which would be especially scary.
  3. Chicago--I've never been there, but I've always heard good things about it. I tend to like Northern cities, randomly, and it has a big market for work--which is great. Plus, if I'd EVER want to work for a newspaper there, the Chicago-Sun Times has always been a good paper.
  4. London--I don't think this will ever happen. It's soooooo expensive. But it's sooooooo beautiful. And I love it. It's probably one of the prettiest big cities I've ever seen. But switching countries requires A LOT of paperwork. Hopefully I'll just make enough someday to live in the U.S., but still visit this marvelous city.

So...those are the four I've thought about the most. There are other cities I want to visit though--Boston, Providence, Washington D.C. and a whole slew of East Coast Cities.

I would NEVER live in L.A. or Texas (sorry). And I would cut my wrists everyday if I had to live in Nebraska. I guess the midwest is not for me. And L.A. just sucks, but I've said this before.

Overall, I know that...I just don't know. Who knows where I'll end up? I just want to experience life, and I tend to love big cities. But I'm sure that it won't matter much where I live as long as I'm with someone I love. And I shouldn't say that I don't like small towns. I've never lived in one...maybe someday.

The future is mysterious, I could live a number of places. And that is an exciting thought.

5 comments:

  1. you could live quite a number of places until you find the right place - i've lived in 6 states since i graduated from high school ten years ago.

    i don't think i could live in SoCal again. traffic and cost? ugh. however there is a fabulous institute in san diego and one in LA i'd LOVE to work for. but they'd have to court me heavily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My state would kick your state's ass in a bar fight...that's why cali has earthquakes...shaken in its boots from a Texas ass whoopin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. London, eh? .... These are the times when I'm glad to be a citizen of the European Union. Now, if they'd only think of giving us a London-Discount, too...
    I'd gladly go back to NYC, but that fingerprinting business at Immigration worries me. I hear the ink makes your fingertips look like prunes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still trying to find an opportunity to move to London. I just love that city! All of the cities you listed would be great places to work and live. You just have to make over $55K right out of college in those cities or you will starve.....

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete