8.13.2008

Tick Tock Tick Tock

There's a lot more waiting in job searching than I realized there would be.

I applied for a job about 10 to 12 days ago, and didn't hear anything from them (even with the knowledge that this company is getting ready to hire about 500 employees at a time). So I called up the HR department to see what was up. The lady pulled up my application on the computer and said, "Well, they haven't even viewed your application yet. We've had over a 1,000 applicants."

At least they hadn't rejected me yet!

But what does a girl do with all this idle time? Well, for one, I've been cleaning a lot. Going to the beach a lot. Trying not to spend ANY money if I can help it.

If this goes on for too long I am very slowly going to lose my mind.

So, today is going to be another beach day. ALL DAY LONG. Sun-bathing with my friend Sonja (an exchange student from Norway) then a bonfire with a small group.

Maybe the beach is the only thing keeping me sane?

I'll walk along the damp sand that hugs the water's edge and beg the tide to take my stress and worries with it to the end of the world. Better yet, to the bottom of the sea, where all the bottom-feeders can have at it :)

8 comments:

  1. The beach makes me feel sane too.

    Job searching is THE worst. There is so much waiting. I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. The worst part is waiting and never even getting an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, not to be rude or anything, but you are not going to find a job sitting around on the beach (unless you want to be lifeguard).

    Try to find a job to hold you over in the meantime. Open up the phone book and call attorneys or insurance guys. Ask if they need any help filing or something like that.

    Look around at little mom & pop shops (dry cleaning places, pet stores, etc.) for signs that say "help wanted". Even in this economy, there are still employers out there needing a little extra help.

    You never know what doors may open up to you. Sometimes they come from unexpected places. You can't just sit back and wait, though. You have to take initiative.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose my post made it seem like I was sitting around all day. haha. No, indeed I've been applying and calling like crazy.

    But some days are made for a break. Americans spend too much of their life working working working. Through all the applying and stress, I recognize when I need some time off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Follow these verbatim:
    -Start up your very own subway franchise
    -Hire only the finest & most worth while employees
    -Send me as many free subs as possible

    Done and done. Problem solved. Now off to the beach with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wait...toast...are you sure I benefit from that? hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While you're waiting ... keep doing the things you CAN do while you are NOT working. Enjoy it while it lasts ... but I agree, keep a tight budget.

    Plus, I replied to your comment on my blog. It was a few paragraphs long so I figured I'd make sure you knew so that it didn't go unread.

    ReplyDelete