12.02.2008

The Thought of Leaving...

Sometimes I really toy with the idea of living in a different place. But that's my wanderlust side, becoming bored with my surroundings again. I haven't taken a trip since the summer (although going to Turkey was a GRAND trip). There are so many places I want, no NEED, to see!! When shall I have the privilege of setting foot in Italy? Ahhhhhh!!!!!

Why am I in the mood to watch A Walk To Remember right now? Random girly thought, sorry.

Back to the thought of living somewhere new...I'm a person that would totally do it, given the opportunity. However, I would miss my parents. That sounds childish, in a way; but I know I have a limited time with them. So moving away now will rob me of some of that time.

These are the places that I've always contemplated moving to: Chicago, New York (although I haven't been to either, but I LOVE big cities, except L.A.), anywhere in the state of Washington (I love trees!), Oregon and even some other places on the East Coast.

It's weird to think that I have the opportunity to apply for a job in any of these states...and ACTUALLY move there! Anyway, my dreams of moving to a new place will have to wait...this may be the worst time ever to find a new job. My logical side reminds me that savings must be in order before I think about ever moving.

Also, the move has to be right. You know, it has to be approved mentally and spiritually. I'm not in a place to move just yet.

Still...it's nice to imagine!

11 comments:

  1. One of my classmates had to move from Iowa to Fargo, ND and it cost him about a grand. And I believe he maxed out his credit cards making the move from Chicago to Iowa.

    I don't know if you fare well in cold weather, so Chicago or New York will take some getting used to. I've lived here for almost 24 years and I still hate it. It's a toss up when it comes to Chicago or the suburbs during the winter. In Chicago I didn't have a car, so I had to be super bundled up to get anywhere since I had to take the bus or train. In Kenosha I have a car and it has heat, but when it snows I have to clean off the windshield so I can see where I'm going. Oh, and the heat doesn't warm up right away, so that's not good either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a good point you bring up there...here I am, this little Cali girl, saying I can live on the East Coast without knowing the first thing about snow...haha! It would be quite hilarious, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you been to San Francisco, Ashley? No snow or extreme cold weather there, although it can be quite foggy, depending on how close to the bay you are. There are sunny days sprinkled throughout the year, though. There is something exhilarating about the sun shining down on the city and illuminating the buildings in the midst of all that movement!

    San Francisco is diverse in so many different ways. I think you would like that. Visiting downtown San Francisco during Christmas time is a special treat.

    The outlying cities are quite nice as well. My aunt used to live in San Bruno, just a few minutes outside of San Francisco. It had the feel of a city and a suburb at the same time, and the weather was sunny and beautiful most of the year.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you move, do it now. Once you start getting older you get sort of stuck in that life and moving becomes harder and harder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that movie makes my friend Sean cry

    ReplyDelete
  6. i constantly want to live elsewhere. i think it's this insufferable humidity, but it seems i lack the kahonies to get it started. but i am taking my first trip to nyc in february. pretty flippin excited.

    ReplyDelete
  7. raindoggggggg, i am jealous!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CHICAGO.

    End of discussion, k?

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I can't say much for the west coast as I haven't been there, I can tell you it most definitely will differ from thingsthe East, aside from things with the weather and climate. East Coast folks are no holds barred and about gettin' shit done, often while being a dick about it. Unfortunately, I wish it were as lax and laid back as the West Coast, for both of us. I'm not saying this to scare or dissuade you as things over here are great, I'm just making you aware of some of the nuances of the eastern seaboard. Besides, the weather isn't all that bad, just have to get used to it is all. Snow is good for skiing anyway, and skiing is the shit!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can so understand you - in both instances: the urge to move and the responsibility to first get your finances in order. And I also agree that all the places you wish to see would be worth a trip!! Chicago and NYC are my dream destinations, too. And it just sucks that all my bosses are in NYC RIGHT NOW for a bonus. Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the comment on my photos =) They were a little dark but meh.

    Not to sound biased or anything, but seriously, Oregon is one of the nicest States I've ever had the pleasure to live in. Everyone I've talked to over the past few days has moved from LA to Portland/Oregon because the quality of life was so much better. Well, I'm loving it too! But you're right, it has to be right for you before you even think about moving.

    Jax x

    ReplyDelete