2.10.2009

Of Slumdogs and Soul

I saw Slumdog Millionaire on a whim. I'm so glad I did! What a well done movie, seriously--it is a film that will truly touch you. And I love movies/books that have a plot that goes back and forth between the past and present. It keeps things interesting. And how fitting that the underdog film winning all these awards is about an underdog triumphing!

I also watched the Grammys this year (something I haven't done in ages!). I was glad I did. Two outstanding performances:



Yet ANOTHER reason why I LOVE Justin Timberlake and his appreciation for SOUL. (Unlike the Jonas Brothers, who totally disgraced Stevie Wonder while performing with him...they SUCKED).

"Do you have soul?"

"That all depends..."


If you can tell me where that quote comes from, then you get bonus points (you can't play raindog).

The next BEAUTIFULLY DONE performance by no other than Radiohead:



Lessons from this post: Slumdog Millionaire=good, Justin Timberlake and Al Green have soul, Jonas Brothers have NO MUSICAL TALENT, Radiohead are musical geniuses!!

10 comments:

  1. ITA about "Slumdog" - I think it was one of the best movies I have seen in a long, long time - not just another rehashed plot - but a true original. Loved the colors, the story, and the music. Can't wait to see what the Academy thinks of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more of a Chris Brown fan myself. That guy knows how to lay down a beat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quote comes from John Cusack in High Fidelity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man I can't believe I missed that performance by JT. There's just something about that boy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you like Robin Thicke? I'm not too familiar with JT's music, but Robin Thicke reminds me of him (his looks). Anyway, there's a song by Robin called "Magic" that I love. Check him out on YouTube when you get a chance. His music has an older, R&B-ish feel.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same reaction to the Jonas Brothers!!! Why did they keep looking into his eyes when they'd go near him? I found myself making fun of them during the entire song ... If Stevie could have only seen the "talent" that he was playing with ... ugh.

    Oh, I posted a new blog! haha Hopefully you weren't fasting or anything like that during my entirely-too-long hiatus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sherri--totally agree. It was refreshing :)

    jay--don't know if you are kidding or not (haha) but I dig Chris Brown and his litle teenage self.

    chris--ding ding!! Good job :)

    D--yes, I have heard of Robin Thicke. Is "Magic" off of The Evolution of Robin Thicke, or off his new one?

    Tim--glad we share sentiments on the Jonas Brothers...they were looking into eyes to seal his soul! The Jonas Brothers are the devil!

    ReplyDelete
  8. boohoohooo ... heh heh. i'm late getting to the game anyway. i saw someone else got it. wasn't radiohead in one of my top 5 track ones? but yes, they are brilliant, esp live.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's off of his new one, Something Else. Here is the YouTube video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZRrkllkIo

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. do you think Stevie Wonder could HEAR HOW BAD the Jonas Bros were?

    ReplyDelete