3.24.2009

A Time to Heal, A Time to Laugh

Like my cool face paint I got at Disneyland? It's smashing, isn't it? It made me feel five again, and slightly insane as I skipped around the theme park. But it made me really happy. No, elated. Elated is a better word for it.

So yesssss...I've been ultra busy this past week. Maybe not doing traditional busy things--like extra work. I've been doing fun busy things. Like breakfast with good friends, time for reading, time for watching Twilight (twice already--dork alert!) and time to spend 11 hours at the Happiest Place on Earth. I was exhausted that day!!

On top of all that, I've been sick this week. I really should take vitamins.

What can I say, though? Life is brilliant. It really, really is.

This is the time in my life where my heart has completely healed from past pain and opened back up to the beauty of living. Not to say that I won't go through pain again, I know I will. But I will handle future pain with more grace and wisdom next time around.

Part of that pain I used to carry was lifted off by the kids I work with. I know this may sound so completely corny that you might stop reading this post this very second. Haha, go ahead. But know that it's true. There's just something about a child's outlook on life that rubs off on you...you remember the beauty of life and love. You wonder along with them. You think like a kid again, thoughts that are limitless and boundless. It's refreshing.

There are two little boys that have especially made an impression on me: Little Isaiah and Prescott. Isaiah is a little Latin boy that has an adorable dimple on one side when he smiles and an even more adorable attitude. Prescott, a cute half-black, half-white little guy, smiles his heart-of-gold-smile, and I melt.

And they love me. They ask for my attention, i.e. "Miss Ashley, watch me cross these monkey bars!" and "Miss Ashley, cheer me on when I bat!" They remind me of the goodness of boys, and how not all men grow up to be evil. haha. Seriously though.

And it reminds me of the goodness of God. And how he shines through in the most unexpected places. I didn't think I was going to get much out of this job when I took it. But it has truly helped me piece back broken parts of me, to make a complete, shiningly-happy Ashley.

To look at the world with new eyes again, that is a gift.

Again, sorry that I'm sounding like a Hallmark card. Sometimes I really can't help it.

"There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
...a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance."

Before those verses became a pop-hit by the Byrds, they were verses from the Bible. Chapter 3 in Ecclesiastes, if you're interested.

If you read this whole post...you get a pat on the back!

9 comments:

  1. When Scott broke up with me, I ended up at Justin and Jenny's, getting yelled at by Justin because he didn't think it was worth getting upset over since we didn't date that long. Jenny brought Darla out, even though she was supposed to be in bed. She gave me a big hug and it did make me feel a little better.

    Also, this is totally random, but I feel we should be Facebook friends by now if you're on there. I've got the banner in the sidebar of my blog, so you should add me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, yeah sure, we can be facebook friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gotta add me because I don't know your last name.

    Oh, and by the way, Scott is Target Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That face paint -- much like yourself and Disneyland -- is truly magical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, pat me on the back and call me nosy. I am glad your heart has healed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anthony, you get a zillion pats on the back for reading all my long posts. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your sun-shininess! You have a GREAT outlook; that's the reason I enjoy reading your blog!

    Glad to hear you're enjoying working with kids.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i had a post almost identical to this one except maybe the hapiness and thankfullness came out a little more like misery and cynicism. its just so gosh darn amazing how much we think alike. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "They remind me of the goodness of boys, and how not all men grow up to be evil. haha. Seriously though."

    Yeah...sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete