8.15.2009

The Story of Zach Morris

Yesterday, I closed a chapter on a stressful summer job, and all the while I was still sad that I was saying goodbye to some kiddies. This shows that working with kids is, indeed, for me.

Stressful, challenging, overwhelming, exhausting at times...but always rewarding.

My favorite kid of the whole summer was my little friend Zach. Well, he was older (fourth grade) than my usual favorites (kindergarten). All the girls called him Zach Efron because of his haircut, not to mention his natural charm (those girls better watch out!). However, I called him Zach Morris, explaining the superiority of Morris over Efron.

With an adorable hug he always said, "Ashley you're my favorite," and snuck into my group each week (they were supposed to be in different groups every week). The funniest moments were when he tried to wrestle me to the ground (apparently all the boys were on a mission to do this). That's when I employed my dad (a past wrestler) to show me some simple wrestling moves. Those boys didn't stand a chance. ha.

While all of this sounds very simple, it's funny how those simple moments made my day when I thought I couldn't take the stress any longer.

Two days ago, I talked to Zach's mom when she was picking him up, and told her how I called him Zach Morris. She replied, " Well, actually, my husband and I were a big fan of Saved By the Bell and he was named after Zach Morris."

haha! I was calling him the right name all along.

She then offered me a babysitting job, to which I said, "Hmmm...not sure if I have much time for babysitting, but I'd love to come to some of his basketball games."

Still, it was hard to say goodbye to Zach yesterday, my last day at camp...and I'm realizing how this is the hardest part of working with children. You always have to let go and say goodbye, hoping that they will grow up the right way, still keeping that innocent charm I love so much about them.

But to be a part of their life for a brilliantly-fleeting moment, that's something really special, too. I'll hold onto that.

2 comments:

  1. All together now: AWWWWWW! ;)

    Seriously, that's adorable, though. Also, yes, I saw Jude Law in the flesh. He was wearing very tight-fitting t-shirts throughout the play. Clearly a conscientious wardrobe decision there...

    Jax x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a girl in my first 3rd grade tutoring class. Her name was Adriana. She was the smartest and sweetest kid I had ever met.

    After working with this kid for a while, she still remained one of my favorite kids to work with. Ever since then, I loved the name. After my suggestion, my sister ended up taking the name of my first favorite student and naming my second niece Adriana. As you know, I love my niece's more than life itself, but obviously the name holds a great deal of significance for me.

    It was funny, but I didn't know they chose the name Adriana for my baby niece until the moment I saw her in the hospital. To know your sister chose the name you picked the moment you see your newborn niece...

    ReplyDelete