11.16.2010

Not So Good News

I've been terribly sick the past few days. So much for saying that I don't get sick often...these past few months it's been the opposite. I've sounded like a frog (croak-a-licious) recently. Good thing I don't have to talk on this blog. ha.

Also, I wasn't going to post about this...but I think it's good to let out my anger over it, so here goes:

A close relative of mine was in a domestic abuse situation last week. I was shocked over it, and kept teetering between emotions of anger and worry. Long story short, she's doing fine, but the family is a mess right now, and everything is up in the air.

It makes me livid that there are men (and even some women) that will resort to violence when angered.

What's different about this case, is the husband had never been violent before (in a 13 year marriage). This raises the question of mental health issues. He's in his 60s, so dementia is a possibility. It's all so complicated.

Is it bad that I'm still angry at him, even if there are possible mental health issues in the mix? I just can't help it. What's worse is, the children witnessed the altercation.

I guess there's nothing more to say on this issue. What bugs me is I can't do much to help here. I can offer support and sympathy, but not much more than that.

At least, this guy will be going to a psychologist soon...and hopefully, HOPEFULLY, that will help.

7 comments:

  1. Dementia could certainly be an issue if it's uncharacteristic, as Alzheimers (never can spell that word) can make people aggressive in its early stages. I'm very sorry to hear this though. Domestic abuse to people we know is always shocking, it rocks the core of what we feel a family is. I hope your relative is recovering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I'm so sorry. I was going to email you about this, but I can't seem to find your email!

    I don't think you're wrong for being angry; in fact, if you were *not* angry, I would be worried. Domestic violence is never a good thing, no matter the reason, and I understand your feeling of helplessness. Regardless, your family and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, thanks so much for your suggestions on my blog! They really made me think, which is something I needed. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, I'm so sorry about that situation. It's totally find to be angry. I willing to bed that it could be alzheimer's (did you know i am like, a licensed professional about this??;)). I hope he and she get some answers...I'm sure it scared him as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, so sorry to hear this. Domestic violence is something that hits too close to home for me and it's always hard to hear about. I hope everything seems to work out and the husband gets help if he needs it.

    And yes, anger is completely normal. Hugs, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lets meet up. Sooner rather than later.

    I wont say much other than you are right to feel the breadth of your emotions. Because you NOT being angry does not change the fact that someone you care about was a victim of domestic violence.

    Be strong. <3 you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so scary, and I'm so sorry your relative had to go through this. Domestic abuse is incredibly frightening, and I'm with you on looking into mental health issues especially if it's uncharacteristic. There was a story on the news the other week here about an old couple and the man had Alzheimer's, and the wife took him a photo of them and their marriage certificate every time she visited; he didn't remember her and started lashing out, hitting her, and ended up embedding the picture frame in her chest... it raised this giant story about what to do when mental health issues turn into domestic violence. Keeping you and your family in my prayers, love <3

    ReplyDelete