1.09.2006

The typical American family?

Keep in mind that I have about 20 people working at my work while I explain this scenario.

About 4 of those 20 people not only have their parents divorced, but they don't see one of their parents...ever.

Another 9 have divorced parents. I expected this.

That leaves 7 (and probably less than that) who have both their mom and dad together still.

I'm not exactly surprised about the number divorced. But the ones who never speak to one parent??? That's insane. I couldn't imagine what that's like. There is even one co-worker who has never met his dad. That blows my mind, really.

I know this happens every day, but this is probably the first time I've confronted this many people who don't talk to one parent (and in all these situations, it happens to be the dad).

If I didn't have my dad in my life, I wouldn't have as much confidence. I can't tell you how important it is to have someone in my life who actually thinks I can make it big. A huge part of what I've done in school hasn't just been for me--it's been for me and my dad both. Part of my motivation is to make him proud. If you take him out of the equation, I wouldn't be where I am today.

That's not saying that everyone has a dad like mine. Take my (half) sister for instance--her dad was abusive and drank alot. My mom made sure to leave him as soon as she gathered up enough strength. So my sister virtually grew up without a dad. I couldn't imagine.

My point of talking about this is that there is no "typical american family." But that stereotype is shoved down our throats constantly. And if we don't have that ideal family, we may feel inadequate. And that is not fair.

It just so happens that I work well with two parents. But I know plenty of people who have turned out wonderful with just one parent raising them.


************************************************************************************


With that said, I'm leaving in about 2 hours to go visit my friend Jaclyn (in Orange County). Yay! I love to drive. Hopefully there's not too much traffic. My car is definitely happy, my dad and I changed it's oil yesterday. So yeah, I may not be around for a few days. Or maybe I will, if I can find a computer lab, heh heh heh. Talk to you all later!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well, when mom told me dad was a toaster - I pretended to belive. It was only last year I learned my father was Santa Clause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record my parents are still married. I hope that you have fun on your trip!!!

    ReplyDelete