9.02.2006

Love Fool

So here's the problem with life and love and boys.

And right now I'm going off of my friend's boyfriend. Cause she's beautiful, inside and out. But he doesn't appreciate her fully. He's selfish. He thinks about himself only. Tonight is their anniversary, and she made plans for them. He then called and asked when they would be done eating so he could go hang out with friends and watch Brokeback Mountain (to make fun of it, no doubt).

Not the right answer!!! Shouldn't he be giving the WHOLE night to her and her alone? The night should be all about her...her name should be written in the stars and should surround his every thought. Not Brokeback Mountain.

And shouldn't women get roses? Shouldn't women be kissed without having to ask for it? Shouldn't they be loved unconditionally?

Is my answer yes to these questions because I've been brainwashed by a thousand Disney movies? Have I watched one too many Johnny Depp movies where he can't get enough of his woman?

All the boy band songs I adored, all the slightly funny romantic movies I watched religiously, all the pages of Pride & Prejudice I rejoiced reading...was it all a trick? Was I fooled to believe that love was one way while being totally blinded to the way it actually is?

I have another friend, who I will not name, that recently had some bruises on her arm. Curious, I asked, "Wow, where did you get those?"

"My Boyfriend," she answered.

"hahaha, yeah...but really..." I joked.

"No, my boyfriend gave them to me. Well, he's my ex now. But don't worry, he was drunk. It was an accident," she said, almost nonchallantly.

And guess what, she's still trying to be with him.

That's not love. That's not the kind of Mr. Darcy I want. I just don't understand why girls settle. Why settle for second best? Or, is this the real question: Are my standards too high?

9 comments:

  1. NO YOUR STANDARDS ARE NOT TOO HIGH never ever lower them
    everyone deserves the best, everyone deserves what s/he is willing to give


    thoseguys are assholes

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Watching Beauty and the Beast) No, of course your standards aren't too high! Tale as old as time! Song as old as rhyme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pay no attention to Mr. Darcy, Ashley. He's been grumpy ever since Disney decided to make sequels and prequels to all the Classic Disney films (Heard of The Lion King, Episode 1: Simba's Ancestry? Full of great history and a cameo by Jar Jar Binks).

    Seriously, you're not making your standards too high; it's just that noone worth your time has met yours just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. in my limited experience, kissing women without them asking for it usually doesn't work out the way you plan it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say your standards are just about right .. if we just let romance die without putting up a fight, this world will truly be a place not worth living in

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. No, of course your standards are not too high!

    Seriously, there are some really good guys out there in the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your standards are not too high.

    you never need to settle for "okay" or "good enough".

    wait for the person who is perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your standards are just right - never lower them :)

    ReplyDelete