5.30.2008

Of Princes and Musicians

I finished reading The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian yesterday, so naturally I rallied the troops to go see the movie. I was excited to see the movie; however, this was the first time I've seen a movie right after I've read the book. Every detail was fresh in my head.

THE MOVIE GOT SO MANY THINGS WRONG...what the hell? Why do movies do that??? They added random crap (big events, too) that ISN'T EVEN IN THE BOOK!!!

Ok, I'll calm down...*deep breath*...but it makes me wonder, can anyone really enjoy a movie from a book when they've read that book? It didn't help that this has been my favorite book in the series thus far. Why change a masterpiece?

ANYWAY, onto other news.

I ♥ Death Cab For Cutie's new album, Narrow Stairs.

Quite honestly, one of the best albums I've ever heard; although, strangely melancholy, it's gorgeous at the same time. And the album just flows. It's beautifully written, and all the songs melt into each other. It's like a story.

And when I say it's melancholy, I mean SAD. Usually, Death Cab has been a bit more optimistic in the past. This album doesn't have that usual Death Cab hope.

I still love it and have been playing it non stop. I provided two songs for you on the right to listen to. First is my favorite: "Cath..." A song about a girl who is marrying because she has no other choice. The background music is so pretty.

Second is "Your New Twin-Sized Bed," an achingly sad song about being alone. But I love the beat, and who couldn't relate?

Enjoy, sorry I can't provide a cyber box of tissues :)

7 comments:

  1. my brother enjoys that band, I never got into them....I think it's because I'm old (who wants to listen to some C & C Music Factory!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fan, but I like some of their music.

    Yeah the biggest problem with the movie was the total exaggeration of the battle scenes. I mean in the book it was like 2 pages long, it was half the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap Ash! the twin sized bed song! :( i am getting ready to come see you and i had to stop the song because i would have cried all my make-up off!! Dang you. I guess it's just because of the changes that will be happening in my life soon, i really relate to that song right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i could completely relate to the entire album.

    the last song (the ice is getting thinner) made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i haven't seen it yet, but i'm going to take a wild guess and say they probably screwed it up hiding the christian references like the first one. tsk tsk tsk. sometimes they do it right. i'll assume you've read high fidelity. both book and movie are highly enjoyable.

    the songs aren't bad, but i have a problem with ben gibbard choosing death cab over the postal service as the vehicle for his musical talent. ps's 'give up' is one helluva brilliant cd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well the problem with the movie is they completely screwed up the plot line!!! Just keep it the way it is, fools.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I likes me some Death Cab, but I haven't heard their new one yet. I do have that emo-streak in me, so depressing music seems appealing to me...for some reason.

    Also, to quote Jim Gaffigan:

    "Oh, the book was MUCH BETTER than the movie!"
    "You know what I liked about the movie?...NO READING."

    ReplyDelete