1.07.2009

Violin, I ♥ Thee

WHY is my computer going bone-achingly slow today????? Rhetorical question.

I don't know why I feel like posting so much this week. It's almost how it was when I FIRST got this blog. haha.

I feel like posting today because of a few new songs I've heard that I really like. And I'm noticing a trend. I adore violins in songs. I don't know what it is, but I almost automatically love the song if it has violins in the background. Am I the only one?? So here are a couple videos:

Well this song actually has a Cello in it, if we're gonna be technical. (But close enough). The song is "All Fall Down" by One Republic.



The next song is off the Twilight soundtrack (hehehe). "Full Moon" by The Black Ghosts. This is a great driving song.



This post is super random today. I feel super random today. And with that thought, I leave you with a very special word of the day:

RUFFIAN

webster's dictionary definition: (noun) a brutal person.
urban dictionary definition: An unattractive member of the opposite sex.
Chris: How was last night?
Mark: It was great, I pulled a real fittie, but Josh was left with her RUFFIAN mate.
Chris: So did he pull her?
Mark: fo shizzle my nizzle


I think the second definition is from England...just a guess. I simply believe that the word ruffian should be brought back in everyday language. That's all I'm sayin.

13 comments:

  1. Yup, that second one is definitely English, because the terms 'fittie' and 'pull' are from our side of the pond =) But I don't hear people use ruffian in that context that much, even though I have heard it before. Then again, that could be because I live in the rather posh side of town!

    Jax x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you ever heard andrew bird? check out his song 'fake palindromes' or any other of his tunes as a matter of fact as he plays violin in almost all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out Brandi Carlisle's album The Story if you like cello. She uses a lot, and she's an awesome singer.

    And YES! Raindog is right about Andrew Bird. I love him as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Ted Leo song "Biomusicology," incorporates a cello on the studio track. I posted a live version a few days ago, but sadly the cello is absent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any song that has a piano solo in it usually holds me captivated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, so many recommendations of songs with violins! That makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to play violin and I totally want to join a band. But I'd have to actually practice and stuff to do that. In addition to your recommendations, add Cursive. There's a lot of cello stuff in there, but the way they add it reminds me so much of orchestra stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does that mean you feel the same way about songs with a fiddle in them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. a couple of bands you will ADORE if you're into the violin/rock thing...

    1. blue October - my all time favorite... I can email you some great stuff if you're interested... find me on twitter... CeruleanBleu

    2. Yellowcard - Sean Mackin = GORGEOUS!

    3. Alpha rev - they're local Austin band, but seriously great! their violinist is WOW.. just outstanding!

    enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes, thomas, I have an ipod.

    blue--I'll look up the bands you recommended!

    ReplyDelete