4.24.2011

Music Challenge, Day 1: Your Favorite Song

To copy Miss Felicia, I've decided to do a 30-day music challenge. I'm not planning on participating everyday, but mixing in the music posts with regular posts.

Day One: Your Favorite Song

It is extremely hard for me to list my favorite song. Like Rob Gordon, I'm more keen on doing a top 5, as moods change with each day and it's so hard to have a song that is your favorite favorite. It's like having 5 children and picking one as your favorite child, a ludicrous idea. But for the sake of this challenge, I will provide you with my favorite song today, and a constant top 5 favorite of mine:




I will always be in love with Motown, and Marvin is probably my favorite Motown artist. They just don't make voices like his anymore. I don't like any remake of this song, including that 2001 travesty of a remake that a bunch of subpar artists did to honor 9/11.

My father played Motown in the car early on, and I remember loving "What's Going On" even then. Without knowing the subject matter of the music, I was still drawn to the sincerity and pain in Marvin's voice. This song still draws me in. Whatever it is that makes an artist a GREAT artist, Marvin always had it.

The list, if you are interested in joining the challenge:
day 01 - your favorite song
day 02 - your least favorite song
day 03 - a song that makes you happy
day 04 - a song that makes you sad
day 05 - a song that reminds you of someone
day 06 - a song that reminds you of somewhere
day 07 - a song that reminds you of a certain event
day 08 - a song that you know all the words to
day 09 - a song that you can dance to
day 10 - a song that makes you fall asleep
day 11 - a song from your favorite band
day 12 - a song from a band you hate
day 13 - a song that is a guilty pleasure
day 14 - a song that no one would expect you to love
day 15 - a song that describes you
day 16 - a song that you used to love but now hate
day 17 - a song that you hear often on the radio
day 18 - a song that you wish you heard on the radio
day 19 - a song from your favorite album
day 20 - a song that you listen to when you’re angry
day 21 - a song that you listen to when you’re happy
day 22 - a song that you listen to when you’re sad
day 23 - a song that you want to play at your wedding
day 24 - a song that you want to play at your funeral
day 25 - a song that makes you laugh
day 26 - a song that you can play on an instrument
day 27 - a song that you wish you could play
day 28 - a song that makes you feel guilty
day 29 - a song from your childhood
day 30 - your favorite song at this time last year

By the way, Happy Easter =)

6 comments:

  1. i'm so excited to hear all of your music picks :) :) i like your taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment!! XXX

    http://myownstrangelittle-world.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay awesome! I'm surprised I'm still going with it. Love me some Marvin Gaye too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding choice. I heard an interview with Smokey Robinson once. He said that shortly before Marvin Gaye recorded the album, he performed all the songs (on piano) at his house for Smokey. Smokey congratulated him and asked how he was able to write such strong songs. Marvin said, "I'm not writing this album, God is." I always think of that when I listen to What's Going On. God gave us that song (and album).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am totally doing this.

    ReplyDelete