3.16.2006

My love will rip a whole through the ceiling, bitches.


Every now and then, I find a song that totally takes over my body, and stops me in my steps. It's like a possession of sorts, a possession that I don't want exorcised.

Have you guys heard of Matisyahu? Well, here's a picture of the dude:


Alright........so he's Jewish, if you didn't notcie. Like, hardcore Jewish. And the first time I heard his song, I happened to also be watching the video. What was my first (stupid) reaction to this guy? Basically, that this was going to be hilarious, and this was some type of joke, or even some type of ploy. It's sad how sometimes I fall into the gap of making generalizations so easily.

Well, anyway, I spent about 10 seconds laughing at the thought of this Jewish kid singing reggae (yes, reggae), and then, THEN...I actually listened to the music and the lyrics.

My reaction? It was beautiful. A lyrical masterpiece with soaring guitars and gorgeous vocals surrounding every lyric. I loved it. And I love it still. And I've been overplaying it.

Here are some of the lyrics:

What's this feeling?
My love will rip a hole in the ceiling
I give myself to you now from the essence of my being
And I sing to my God songs of love and healing
I want Mashiach now, time we start revealing

...Strip away the layers and reveal your soul
Give yourself up and then you become whole
You're a slave to yourself and you don't even know
You want to live the fast life but your brain moves slow
If you're trying to stay high then you're bound to stay low
You want God but you can't deflate your ego
If you're already there then there's nowhere to go
If you're cup's already full then its bound to overflow
If you're drowning in the waters and you can't stay afloat
Ask Hashem for mercy and he'll throw you a rope
You're looking for help from God you say he couldn't be found
Looking up to the sky and searching beneath the ground
Like a King without a crown
Yes I want to get down
Like a King without a crown
I keep fallin' down

Even if you're not religious, at all, you can still recognize how lyrically beautiful this song is. And usually religious songs almost ALWAYS come out cheesy. But this one didn't. This guy has real talent, and a real sense for music.

But onto the religious side of it, I love it for what it has to say. Especially because I've been, well, disconnected from religion for awhile.

It's not like I stopped believing in God. That never happened. But as far as going to church and participating? Yeah, that stopped.

And I'll tell you why--because whenever I went to church in the past, I never did the driving. It was never me who wanted to go to church. I still got someting out of it, but it was after I was, essentially, forced to go. And I'm not trying to make my parents out to be tyrants--because they actually believe in the word, and simply wanted to share it with me.

When I left for college, that's when the disconnection began. That's because it became my choice.

Also, I was ashamed. I was ashamed of those people who called themselves Christian, or religious, and then condemned people who were gay...or people who weren't like them. And didn't they know???? Religion isn't about excluding other people, it was about loving other people--ALL people. And even our self-righteous president did this. And that pissed me off the most! How can you be a represntation of the American people and tell the nation you're gonna ban gay marriage any way possible? That made me utterly sick to my stomach. Why would I want to associate myself with "Christians" if this is how "Christians" acted.

And so I seperated myself.

********

But lately, I've been interested again. And it's been on my own. And part of it is thanks to songs like "King Without a Crown." Because that is the type religion that I always dreamed of--one that sings of love and acceptance, not hate. And there are people who act and feel the way I do...it's just a matter of sifting throught the bad eggs to find the golden ones.

I want to feel connected to God on my own accord, in my own way. Not the way that someone tells me to. I want to feel connected through song and through feeling...not preaching.

Religion and Spiritualism are seperate words for a reason--and I'm finding that out now.

7 comments:

  1. I have heard of this buy, but I was never going to listen to his music because of my feelings toward Hasadic Jews and the way I've seen them treat people in their community (near NYC).

    And then I read your post, and now I want to listen.

    Keep up the good work.

    ~AD

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly, crystal. That is the exact way to describe this guy.

    steve...I'm glad you are considering listening to him! He is amazing!

    and...there really is good in bad in every religion. He definitely is the good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I actually need to put up a serious post. I couldn't agree more. Most Christians do not really understand their beliefs because they are too ignorant to digest their own meaning. You have a preacher that preaches his understanding of a passage - but the sad thing is....there are thousands of different understandings which brings us the different branches of religion...Catholic - Baptist - etc. There are tons to choose from.

    Personally, I belive in GOD. A GOD that has not walked the Earth. I also belive that you get in life what you give. I need no church service to feel better about my beliefs. Christians can come of as being like a sick cult at times...like the gay marriage and abortion issues. But if they would listen to their Trinity, he died for their sins...so they should forgive and forget no matter what belief you may have.

    Now, please don't confuse Jewish teachings and Christian teachings. Christians belive one of two things: 1) Jesus was GOD, or the Trinity; 2) Jesus was the son of GOD. Jews believe that he was neither - but more of a man that preached his word of GOD, and was a faithful Jew.

    I say beliieve in your heart what you will - because that is your true religion...and listening to a preacher that lives in a half-a-million dolloar homw and drives a Hummer - really wants your money...not your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't consider Matisyahu a preacher, Hatleyman...that would be funny if I did.

    And yeah, I know the difference between the Jewish belief and Christian belief--dude, I know the difference between Christian and Catholic.

    But do I care? Not really. All religions to me are a means to the same end. That's just my belief.

    As far as Matisyahu goes, I don't know if he drives a Hummer...but if he did, he wouldn't be true to the lyrics that he sings. Let's hope that's not the case.

    Wow, I've never been seriosu with you before. That was amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley J!!! I love this song, I actually downloaded it last night!!! But yeah i do understand about people who do things that are mean and not right and call themselves Christian...but it happens in every organized group. We just have to prove that its the spirit and love that makes someone a Christian.
    P.S. I would love for you to come to church with me...and you could drive!!!!
    P.P.S. My boyfriend and I will be home on Monday and I promise we will all hang out so that you can meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I share your enthusiasm for Matis!
    It's great that he can be an inspiration to people of all faiths.

    ReplyDelete