10.11.2009

Of Writers and Travelers

Why is my room already a mess when I cleaned it last week? I feel like Ricky Ricardo is going to walk in at any second, take a look around the surroundings and say, "Ashley, you got some splanin' to dooooo!"

Well, looks like I am going to spend my Sunday cleaning. Until I go to the Jason Mraz concert tonight, that is. And get this, the concert is free. Who does that anymore?

Jason Mraz--I will have your babies.

Anyway, I am having a tremendous amount of fun reading Eat Pray Love, mostly because Elizabeth Gilbert is an outstanding writer; no, that's an understatement. I don't know if there is a word to describe her humble, hilarious, honest writing. All I know is that I absolutely love it. I hope I can write like that someday...because yes, I do think excellent writing takes some diligent training and experience.

Here is an excerpt that I especially relate to, and you'll know why once you read it:

"...traveling is the great true love of my life. I have always felt, ever since I was sixteen years old and first went to Russia with my saved-up babysitting money, that to travel is worth any cost or sacrifice. I am loyal and constant in my love for travel, as I have not always been loyal and constant in my other loves."

Ahhh...this quote has "Ashley" written all over it!!

And a side note, relating to traveling. I noticed on all the posts from my trip, there were a lot of "I'm jealous" comments. While I often say this to other people going on vacations, I just want you to know how do-able traveling is. My trip cost me a grand total of $1700...that includes the plane ticket, as well. There are ways around huge traveling fees. And while $1700 is a good chunk of change, it's still easily savable, and as Gilbert pointed out, worth every penny.

I will have more to say about Eat Pray Love this month, but until then, have a great Sunday. Hopefully you don't have to clean the whole day.

8 comments:

  1. I see how that quote relates (very easily) to you. I will have to buy it for her for Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey it's Pug Angel, too lazy to sign in! I was jealous but not because I don't have the money. It's because I JUST DON'T HAVE TIME!! *insert crying here*

    Holy crud, I need a vacation and I just need to get through school :( it will be worth it right??

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww, pug angel. all I can say in this dire situation is "DURO MAS, MUCHO MAS!" You shall survive :)

    Especially because you are one of the strongest chicks I know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For $500, I can score you enough hallucinogens to make you think that you're pretty much anywhere... in the entire universe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know about travel...you say it's relatively easy...but I'd probably have to put on pants if I wanted to go anywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm in the market for a new book. is this one of them there unisex writings or do i need my shirtdress for this? ;) ... but i still stand firm on my anti-mraz, but i hope it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's actually quite uni-sex! The book, not Mraz. haha. Mraz is only really for chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So how was Jason Mraz? I'M SO JEALOUS. I love him. I saw him in London several years ago with my brother - it was a belated birthday pressie. I think my 18th? Also, my room becomes a tip about 10 seconds after I've cleaned it and I have no idea how or why.

    Jax x

    ReplyDelete