9.12.2009

A Big Change

There's been A LOT of new thoughts running around in my head lately...time to put it here on this blog, and maybe get some insight.

I've been thinking about moving to Turkey for a year, and possibly teaching English to children (or adults) there (in Istanbul).

I feel...bored and uninspired by America lately. Should I say lately? Maybe this has been for a long time. I know that changing countries is not necessarily "the answer" to that, but I can't deny that I've always had the urge to move overseas, and I've never been able to shake that urge.

I also know that going on a vacation in Turkey is not the same as living and working in Turkey. It's a very real possibility that I could move to Turkey having an immense love for it and leave with a bad taste.

However, I think I will regret it if I never try living somewhere else. I've been in San Diego far too long (basically MY WHOLE LIFE). It works for some people to stay in one place all their lives, but I'm not so sure that works for me.

Things I will obviously miss if I move: my FAMILY, my friends, certain aspects of the American culture that I love.

And there's a lot to prepare for: Learning the Turkish language as much as possible, saving up a butt-load of money, preparing to say good-bye to loved ones.

But there's a lot to look forward to: an ADVENTURE! Experiencing a breath of fresh air through another culture, seeing my Turkish family more often (and possibly living with them), living in a country that is a part of me and my background (HOW COOL IS THAT?!), having a story to tell the kids when I get older. hehe.

Sorry that this post is so disorganized...these are the million thoughts that are bouncing in my head over this idea. I may be over thinking all of this, and maybe I should just go without all the analyzing. But I know that there is a part of me that just might stay overseas once I go, and never come back.

And that scares me just a little. Because such a big change can be a bit scary. Maybe more than a bit.

All I know is, my recent European trip was supposed to cure the wanderlust in me for about a year (it usually does the trick). But a couple days after I got back, I wanted to travel again...I wanted to be somewhere else.

Seriously, I have a problem *nervous laughter*

Also, I recently told my parents about this little possible plan of mine, and they took it better than I thought they would, replying with, "Well, we don't want you to move that far away from us...but that's not a bad idea."

I think they know I've always had that dream to live in a different country. It's my mom's fault! She moved from Turkey to America...she started it!!

Well, if you've read this far through my jumbled thoughts, BRAVO! Tell me what you think, and tell me any advice you might have.

P.S. If I did move to Turkey, it would be next year...Fall 2010 or around that time.

10 comments:

  1. You have to do this! I have so many friends that went overseas to teach English and none of them had any regrets over it. It actually enhanced their lives. You just need to be carefree and open to the idea, otherwise you may have a harder time adapting to the new environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's what you want to do, then go for it! I think that people fall into a trap of thinking all or nothing--like you can't do anything else while your prepare or you can't change your mind later if it's not what you want to do. Sounds like a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Ashley. Reading this post is like reading my own thoughts! How weird.

    I have been contemplating the SAME thing for a long time now. Except that I want to go to a Spanish-speaking country and teach English there, or get a Master's degree there.

    I've done some research, and it seems that having a TEFL or TESOL certificate makes you much more marketable for the jobs with better pay and locations (such as teaching in universities).

    My advice to you is this: Do it as soon as possible! Do it before you get in a relationship. Or you'll end up like me: having to choose between your boyfriend and your fantasy. And the more time passes and your responsibilities in the "real" world grow, the harder it will be to pull away. I am about 5 years older than you. It makes a difference.

    You have no concrete commitments right now and you have the support of your family. You should go!

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to say if you feel this strongly, someone else is teliing you you should go as well. It will be scary and exciting, and you already have a support network there. Keep us all updated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, we had this conversation I'm sure about me not wanting to stay in London for too much longer, so I think you know that my response is going to be: DO IT.

    Seriously, as everybody else is saying, if you don't try you'll never know. And I see you as a bit of a jet-setter yourself, so maybe it's time to embrace it and run with it =) Think about it, figure out the logistics, but see it as a real possibility and not just a pipe dream.

    I think you could handle it. You're a strong lady and your love for other cultures is more than can be said for a lot of Americans (no offense!)

    And, you'll be closer to me, so another fate-inspired meet-up will be easier ;)

    Jax x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tell you all the time about Amber, she has been doing this for years now! She saved up enough money for a plane ticket, and rent for a month and just goes! She landed a job in costa rica, thailand and now guadalajara! She gets paid fantastic money for teaching, and you don't have to save up as much money as you think (because you will be working once you get there!!)

    She has gone to a different country every year, she loves it and I totally see the same thing in you!

    I am dying to get out and about as well. The only thing that is hard, like you said is leaving family, I end up feeling guilty like I should stick around but at the same time I rather travel NOW while I am young and move back later when I want kids or something...yeah know!?

    <3 ya! Rach

    PS and if you move, in Fall 2010 tessa and I are planning a euro trip to visit family anyways!! SO we could add turkey to our stops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been thinking about going to doctoral school abroad, but haven't nailed it down quite yet. I am going to think about this, as well. I only hope that you keep blogging. I want to know more about Turkey, and your adventures in Turkey. It is very exciting to think about...probably more exciting to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like an amazing, incredible step. you should totally do this. something like this gets nothing but more difficult to do the longer you wait. believe me, i know. do it while you have the passion. strike while the iron is hot and all that jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, I haven't checked your blog in a while...and then today I check and scroll down a bit and read this one! Wow...but I have to say I'm not surprised. I always saw this one coming and obviouly it's something you've been thinking about for a while...I say do it! I already miss you in Nashville, maybe it will be a good excuse for me to visit Europe for the first time! Your family and friends will always be here when you get back and they will love you no matter what. You have been looking for some change and I really think this will be a great experience for you! Love you and miss you buddy! Keep me posted ok!!

    ReplyDelete