5.07.2011

Music Challenge, Day 5: A Song That Reminds You of Someone

You know the first few lines of "Express Yourself" by Madonna? It goes, "Come on girls! You believe in love?" Well, it makes me think of my flamboyant little friend Andy lip synching to the words, and me acting as his back-up dancer.

*silence*

Let me explain.

Andy (who now goes by Andres because it's more mature? ha) has been a good friend of mine since high school. And this song takes me wayyyyy back to both that time period, and a very special project we worked on.

Andy and I are very creative creatures. Put us together and we create one weird, creative supermind. Accordingly, all the projects we collaborated on were fabulous. The best project, BY FAR, was one called "Enrique's Dance Video." Andy and I still laugh and reference this particular project because it was AMAZING.

I won't give you all the details, but it involved Andy (renamed Enrique) acting as Madonna with his two back-up dancers: me and one other girl. This was videotaped, shown in front of our HIGH SCHOOL class, and received a standing ovation, including an A from our sarcastic teacher with the following commentary: "That video was JUST WRONG."

Looking back, we were brave souls for doing this in high school, of all places!!

Anyway, I still call Andy "Enrique" to this very day. And this song never fails to remind me of our dance video.

...and in case you're wondering, you'll never see Enrique's Dance Video here :) Well...maybe someday, if you're lucky.






The Challenge so far:

5 comments:

  1. this is such a cute story! and yes...you have been indeed very brave to play the video in high school! therefore good job girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. please PLEASE let us see that video! i was laughing so hard reading that story. the video has to make a debut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. someday it will when I figure out how to load videos from a non-digital camera to a computer. I'm not that savvy.

    Or maybe that is my excuse :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, ashley, that cracked me up! i love it!

    p.s. to answer your question, i'm from medfield, a suburb of boston. i came to italy after i studied abroad here and fell in love with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I REALLY want to see enrique's video...like so bad. pretty please??? i wish i had the video of my and my two friends doing a dance to "stronger" by des'ree. sigh.

    ReplyDelete