7.22.2012

Little Movie Gems

Recently, I've watched a few movies that have really moved me in some way. You've probably heard of one or two of them (Hello, Academy Award Winners!), but may be oblivious to the existence of the others. That's why I'm here to share:



The Artist

***
This film was just plain beautiful. I hadn't sat through a silent film before, but I rather enjoyed it. It was incredibly refreshing to watch a soundless movie in an age where technology, effects, lights and noise reign supreme. Silent films are stripped of all the clutter, and you'll find yourself really concentrating on body language and character interaction while watching, which pulls you deep into the story. Bravo, Artist! I can see why you won the Oscar!



Bread and Tulips

***
This is an italian flick that is well worth the watch. I love movies that touch on the idea of creating a new life from scratch (sort of a theme in my life right now). There's even a line in the movie that goes "You've made my phoenix rise from the ashes," and is done in a non-cheesy way, if you can believe that. It comes down to the script: a poetic, beautifully written masterpiece that really captures human emotion. Furthermore, this movie had me wishing I continued with those Italian lessons.



Dakota Skye

***
The acting is not the greatest here, but sort of plays into that 'whatever' attitude of teenagers. The story is about the lead girl, Dakota, who is a self-professed cynic that refuses to believe in love; rather, she believes that everyone is trying to bullshit her, until she meets her "arch nemesis." It's an endearing coming-of-age flick that won me over in the end. A good watch on a rainy day.


Last Night

***
It's been awhile since I've seen a movie with such realistic, gritty acting. It's not a story for the faint of heart: there's a lot of deception and infidelity going on here. But I enjoy movies that make me think about the meaning of love, marriage and settling down. Last Night does all of this, and it's hard to go wrong with the talents of Ms. Knightly.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Zero, this is why we're such good friends! I saw both Last Night and Bread and Tulips and though you'd enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! One day WE will have movie nights again!!! :D

      Bread and Tulips was wonderful, right??

      Delete
    2. It was! I loved the dancing at the end!

      Delete
  2. I've been told by many to see the artist. Seeing as we have similar movie obsessions, I'll give it a go. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I have to catch up on current films. I have only seen the Artist (with another romance fiend, incidentally), and I fell in love with it (Big surprise). John Goodman was awesome, but the lead actor (I don't know his name) could dance really well. I loved all the expressiveness that we so miss out on in our modern "talkies."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally adding a couple of these to my "must watch" list. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete