2.28.2008

Don't Stop Believin'

It's interesting how weeks where I start to get down on myself, certain things happen to pick me back up. Things like that show me that there is, indeed, a Supreme Being of the universe (what up, God?). Somethings are just not coincidence.

So this past week I was a little down because I lost my job (since it was temporary and they didn't need anyone new) and I've felt OVERWHELMED with school. I mean, this semester has been really kicking my ass.

Then, I remembered an internship my professor mentioned in class, and it's paid too, how about that? So I am, indeed, applying. The internship asked for references, so of course I turned to my old professors.

So I e-mailed my favorite professor of all time, Professor G (that's really what he goes by). Prof G sent me an e-mail back that restored some faith in myself and my abilities:

Great to hear from you, Ashley!

I'd be honored to be a reference for you. Tell me what the position is and who I'm going to be singing your praises to!

Thanks for writing to me. And after all these years, I finally remember who I thought you had a slight resemblance to...ever see the movie "Contact"? If you did, the young girl who played Jodie Foster's character as a girl really reminded me of you. The actress had a youthful smile and was an eager and aspiring astronomer, much the way you're an eager and aspiring journalist...

He went on to tell me he's one of the editors of Scuba Diving Magazine now. He gets to travel to all these exotic places and gets paid for it. That would be my DREAM job.

Anyway, I just wanted to share a tiny bit of light for anyone who might be feeling overwhelmed/upset/stressed like I was. Humans always manage to find a way out of the darkness, always.

6 comments:

  1. I know that actress. She was really good in Donnie Darko.

    Nice reference, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. I have two weeks left of my term and I've been swamped with just about every type of project, paper, and presentation imaginable. I'm stressed as hell, but it's very relieving (in an indirect kind of way) to know that someone else feels the way I do and can still push through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're going through hell together, Frank...YAY!

    haha.

    Can I call you Frankie? Or is that annoying to you? I find the name Frankie undeniably cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind if YOU call me Frankie, but for most of the general public that name is off limits. My sister is the only other person who regularly calls me Frankie, so you and her are the only ones with that privilege :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah ... she was in donnie darko. love that movie. i first saw it w/o ever seeing or heaing anything about it. watched it just because my name was in the title.

    i was lucky enough to have a design prof who liked me enough to bargain a higher salary for me at my first professional job. they're rare, but there are some good ones out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Ashley. You should email me when you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete